Saturday, June 20, 2009

The wardrobe that has nothing has everything

The wardrobe that has nothing has everything

Last week I went to a clients house for her annual wardrobe clean out. She had pre-warned me that there would be nothing in there for her to keep. It would be a matter of throwing everything out and starting again... even in the face of a recession. Hmmm I thought, this can't be. How can you have a wardrobe filled with clothes and have nothing to wear. Had she lost all creativity? Surely not, I had been working with her for a year now. Creativity is the first thing I install in her, what had happened?
As I travelled over to her home I went through (in my mind, not on the iphone as I had learnt from that dangerous mistake) all the things we had put into her wardrobe last winter and this summer. I knew there would be some scrumptious things to play with and I was armed with answers. I burst through the door layered with summer meets winter energy only to find a bag filled with the summer stuff sitting at the front door. Her reply to my where is this going? was 'you don't wear summer clothes in the winter so it's going in storage'! HUH??? (is the word to describe my face)... since when.
Winter is the best season of the year. It's exciting, fun and in my opinion when true fashion begins. You can layer, play with so many textures, wear big boots and belt everything. So here's the lesson I shared with my client; layer your summer clothes with winter things. I hope you get something out of this too.
Wear a turtle neck under the cute little summer frock you bought. Add tights, knee high boots and a vibrant coloured scarf or opaque tights and brogue flats.Wear your cuffed short shorts with thick tights and knee high boots. Add a warm big jumper and some fingerless gloves to finish the look.The skinny jeans you've had in the wardrobe for a few seasons now need a new look - turn the cuffs up to the ankle bone. Wear with killer heels, and an in season blouse and men's style blazer.Slip a summer shirt under a long jumper dress for colour. Wear with jeans or tights; flat slouchy boots or heels.Layer, layer, layerAlways use accessoriesWe all have times when we look into a wardrobe filled with clothes and have nothing to wear. Just channel your creative side, there will be outfits a plenty.
Be unique Be beautiful Be youCreative girl x

No comments:

Post a Comment